Washington University Continuing Medical Education Granted Joint Accreditation with Commendation
Washington University Continuing Medical Education (WU CME) was awarded Joint Accreditation with Commendation as a provider of continuing education for the interprofessional team by the governing bodies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) and the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Accreditation Program (ANCC). The Commendation designation recognizes organizations that excel as continuing education providers.
In receiving Joint Accreditation with Commendation, WU CME established compliance with all standard criteria for accreditation in upholding the Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education as well as newly adopted commendation criteria that demonstrate advancement of interprofessional practice and the field of interprofessional continuing education, including efforts to
• Engage patients and trainees as planners and teachers
• Address factors beyond clinical care, such as social determinants of health, that affect the health of patients
• Collaborate with organizations to address public health priorities
• Engage in research and scholarship related to accredited continuing education
• Support the continuous professional development of the education team
• Demonstrate improvement in the performance of healthcare teams and patient/community outcomes
In achieving Joint Accreditation with Commendation, WU CME was awarded a 6-year accreditation term.
WU CME has been continuously accredited by the ACCME since 1973 and received Joint Accreditation by the ACCME, ACPE, and ANCC to provide accredited interprofessional continuing education in 2016. Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE) accreditation was added in 2020. The mission of WU CME is to advance life-long learning of healthcare practitioners and teams to inspire professional growth and enhance patient care and community health.